Monday, August 6, 2007

August 2nd Games Report!!!

We had another excellent games night on Thursday.

We started with a nice chicken dinner that Minoo made and Serghei seems to be really enjoying.


We split into two groups. Ilya wanted to play Saboteur, so Liudmila, Serghei, Kurt, Yelena, Quddus and Dj played two games.


I think Serghei won the first game, but I know Kurt won the second game.


There was a lot of laughter and it seemed like everyone had a good time.



Natascha and Melissa came and visited Minoo.


The other group: John, Balbir, Siyamak, Lessan and I started to play Maharaja.


We chose Maharaja because John wanted to play a 'real' board game, so I thought that Maharaja would be easy to explain and short, but with a very complex dynamic.


We ended up having a four hour intense marathon game! So much for a ninety minute game that is usually shorter. Kate dropped by for a quick visit and watched us play for a bit. She was expecting a smaller turn out, but I think she enjoyed herself.


Everyone had fun though. At the end of the tenth and last turn Lessan and Siyamak had both built seven palaces (although some of Lessan's were temples and quarries, but we will still count them ;)), but Lessan had more gold, so he came in first. Balbir had built six palaces for third place. John and I had built five palaces, but I had 6 more gold and avoided last place. Not a good showing for the two people who had played it before (Balbir and I). I made several tactical errors that accounted for my poor placing.



I hope everyone had a good time. It was our last Thursday night with our full complement of games, because our shipment leaves next Tuesday and this week we are having a 'games day' on Friday. Although, we just found out today that our shipment may be leaving later, so we may be able to have one or two more games nights with all of our games.

2 comments:

Shingo said...

Wow good turn out!!
How did Maharaja took 4 hours?? Good game, and I'm happy to see Siyamak and Quddus etc enjoying the game. I liked Maharaja and glad everyone had good time.

Roger said...

There was a lot of thinking going on, so that's why it took so long. We would be waiting for one person to decide and then just as he decided two other people would change their minds. I liked this game from the start, but after playing on Thursday I realized that the tactical and strategic decisions are really deep and far reaching. Definitely one of my favourites now.